Sunday, January 4, 2015

Moonshine Doughnuts

Moonshine Doughnuts (https://www.facebook.com/moonshinedoughnuts/) is an Edmonton doughnut company founded in 2012 by Matthew and Simon. The doughnuts made are vegan-friendly, meaning they do not contain any dairy or eggs. They also make gluten-free doughnuts as well! I've taken the trip Downtown to visit the City Market a few times for the sole purpose of trying these doughnuts, and I've always been super happy and satisfied by them. So at the start of September when I found out that they would be at the University of Alberta Farmer's Market on Thursdays, I knew I had to take a quick trip over to the Students' Union Building (SUB) to pick up a new box of doughnuts! 

Moonshine Doughnuts.

One thing I love about Moonshine Doughnuts is that these doughnuts always look absolutely gorgeous! The glaze is a pretty vibrant colour, and the toppings add another layer of beauty to the treat. Like an art masterpiece, but in an edible form. For a pack of 4 doughnuts, it costs $10. Gluten-free doughnuts are $12. 

Hibiscus Rose.

The first doughnut I tried was the Hibiscus Rose. This doughnut has a vanilla cake base with a bright pink and sweet glaze on top. I found this doughnut to be a bit dry, but it was nice to have when washed down with a cup of cold milk. There was a pleasant yet assertive sweetness in the initial bite which later mellowed out in my mouth as well. 

Blueberry Chocolate.

Next up was the Blueberry Chocolate. I loved how the beautiful purple colours stood out against the deep brown chocolate cake base of this doughnut. The glaze itself was not too sweet but paired well with the chocolate cake, but I do wish that I got more blueberry flavour! 

Matcha Coconut.

Anything with matcha is bound to be a hit, and this Matcha Coconut doughnut definitely was! This doughnut has a vanilla cake base with a mellow green matcha glaze topped with shredded coconut. I don't usually go for treats with shredded coconut on them, but I found this one to be particularly addicting. The matcha and coconut was a surprisingly pleasant combination, and while the matcha came through nicely in the glaze, it was not too sweet either. 

Campfire S'mores.

Last but not least: the Campfire S'mores doughnut. I had seen many photos of this doughnut appear on Instagram with people raving about how good it was. Of course, I had to try out this doughnut for myself. Made with a chocolate cake base, this doughnut is very eye catching with the cute toasted marshmallow and graham crumbs on top. A few bites of this doughnut, and I was immediately in heaven. IT WAS SO GOOD!!! The chocolate flavour of the glaze was delicious, and the cake base was dense and velvety. I loved how the graham crumbs added a nice texture with every bite, and the subtle heat of the doughnut was amazing. This doughnut is by far the best one I've tried from Moonshine Doughnuts. I had initially planned on giving CJ half of this doughnut, but I couldn't help myself. I had to eat the entire thing. It was that good. 

Be sure to give Moonshine Doughnuts a try! They can be found at the City Market in Downtown, the 124 Street Grand Market, or the U of A Farmer's Market on select Thursdays. To stay up to date with this awesome doughnut company, follow their Instagram (@moonshinedoughnuts) or Twitter (@moonshinedough) pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment